While linking Aadhaar with mobile SIM has been made mandatory, you mustn’t fear if you haven’t done it. You don’t need to visit the retail store of your carrier in order to do that. To make the procedure of linking 12-digit Unique Identity Number with the mobile SIM hassle-free, the Department of Telecom has added new technique to link the registered mobile number with Aadhaar-OTP based, app based, IVRS facility. Using these methods, the subscribers can verify or re-verify their mobile numbers from anywhere in India.
As far as senior residents are concerned, telecom operators are directed to provide verification facility to subscribers at their doorsteps for the convenience of those with disability, sickness or old age. They are further directed to build an online mechanism – which can be through the internet site or any other means – to request such service.
Hereβs how you can Link Aadhaar to SIM through OTP in easy steps:
- You need to dial 14546 toll free number from your phone.(Vodafone, Airtel and Idea customers only)
- After that a computer generated voice will tell you that the deadline for linking your Aadhaar to mobile number is 31st March.
- Soon after that you have been asked that if you are NRI or Indian.
- Then you have to press 1 for Indian, for NRIs this service is not available for now.
- Now you have been told to enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- After entering your Aadhaar number the IVRS system repeats that number, if the given number is incorrect you have to correct it otherwise for confirmation you have to press 1.
- Now an OTP is send to your phone, the telecom operator will confirm your name and date of birth from UIDAI database.
- Then you have been told to enter your OTP.
- After entering the OTP, you have to press 1 to complete the Aadhaar re-verification process.
It has to be noted that Aadhaar-based e-KYC is necessary for subscribers going for new SIMs. Moreover, the authorities have asked mobile operators to re-verify existing prepaid and post-paid customers, with the help of the 12-digit unique identification number. According to a recent tweet by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), there is no need to provide fingerprints to local SIM card retailer for linking the Aadhaar to your mobile number. The re-verification exercise is scheduled to be achieved by 2018